Recently an EGM was called to elect a new committee following a period of inactivity for the society - I am writing as co-president of the successfully elected committee to introduce myself and the rest of us.
We are all 2nd year Computer Scientists, and have formed the committee as follows:
- Co-Presidents - Alex Kavvos (Univ) and Ben Gazzard (St Catz)
- Secretary - Ian Jones (Balliol)
- Treasurer - Laurens Lemaire (St Catz)
Together we hope to rebuild the society and will be making considerable effort to attract members across many academic years as active membership has likely dwindled. Currently we do not have any plans to organise any specific events this term. Instead we aim to focus on:
- Building a fantastic term card for Michaelmas 2011
- Building links with the comlab for access to lecture halls
- Seeking sponsorship/external funding to potentially lower membership costs/subsidise events
- Assess the types of events run by other Computer Societies at other universities to offer a diverse range of activities
- Devising more 'hands on' type events
We are eager to hear any thoughts on the above or any suggestions you have. It would be great to find that we still have some active student members supporting the society.
Finally, we hope to hold a TGM at the end of 7th week - with the plan to report on our plans in more detail then. More details about that will be sent closer to the time though.
Ben Gazzard, Co-president CompSoc